As a follow up to a recent press release by Organized Labour in Adamawa State disclaiming the candidature of Mr. Mustapha Umar Madawaki who claims to be contesting for the governorship position in Adamawa State on the platform of the Labour Party, we wish to reiterate the following important points of concern:
- Mr. Mustapha Umar Madawaki has been charged by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on the account of the failed Kriston Lally/NLC Housing Project in 2015;
- Following the seriousness of the allegations preferred against Mr. Mustapha Umar Madawaki, the outcry of workers and the proactive steps taken by the NLC leadership, the EFCC had to step into the matter. After a thorough investigation, the EFCC charged Mr. Mustapha Umar Madawaki to court. The case between Mr. Mustapha Umar Madawaki and the Federal Government of Nigeria at the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court 14, Nyanya, Abuja, Charge No: C12/23/17, is currently before Hon. Justice U.P. Kekemeke and has been ongoing since 2017;
- That until Mr. Mustapha Umar Madawaki establishes his innocence, the Nigeria Labour Congress would never lend its support to such suspicious characters who have very serious criminal charges in the court of law. The policy of the NLC is to support only candidates of the Labour Party who meets its requirements of strength of character and commitment to the ideology cum Charter of Demands of the Nigerian working class;
- The Nigeria Labour Congress enjoins all workers in Adamawa State not to recognize or identify with or support or vote for Mr. Mustapha Umar Madawaki. NLC has communicated this decision to the Labour Party; a party formed by Organized Labour; and
- The Nigeria Labour Congress reiterates that Mr. Mustapha Madawaki in an apparent display of crass impunity and consistent with a pattern of grand deception took Organized Labour in Adamawa State to court claiming defamation of character. We hope he would pursue that case to a logical conclusion as Nigerians are eager to watch the parody of how quickly an accused can suddenly adorn himself in the robe of an accuser. If he manages to show up in court, we are ready to account to the court how Mr. Mustapha Madawaki wants to swim in the sweats of Nigerian workers to the governorship seat of Adamawa State.
A word is enough for the wise!
Comrade Ayuba Wabba, mni
5th July 2022